From the spectacular hair transplant facilities to the unmatched costs, Hair Transplant Abroad is strengthening the world of male hair restoration and hair replacement for women. Traveling abroad for hair transplant surgery is giving patients access to unprecedented levels of hair transplant safety, cheaper hair transplant costs, and the crucial role of patient comfort.
The follicular unit extraction (FUE) method is an affordable new treatment for hair loss that allows individual follicles to be extracted one by one from the patient head. Using a small harvesting instrument, follicles are individually picked from around the scalp so as to minimally affect the aesthetics of the patient's scalp.
The Fox test is used before the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) method to determine if the follicular units can be removed easily. Biopsies are performed under local anesthesia, and a few follicular units are removed.
The FUE method employs carefully screened extractions that must be done in a very meticulous manner; this procedure is often very tedious and only several hundred follicles may be harvested per procedure.
The FUE method avoids a linear donor site incision and instead, the grafts are harvested one at a time with tiny 0.8 to 1 mm punches which then usually heal as essentially undetectable dots in the scalp.
Preparing for FUE Hair Transplant Abroad
1-2 weeks before your procedure:
- Stop drinking alcohol and/or smoking.
- Do not take aspirin or any other anti-inflammatory medications.
- Do not use hair growth treatments.
- Do not take any multivitamins including vitamin B and vitamin E.
- Do not have permanent waves, hair coloring, or hair relaxing procedures.
1-3 days before your procedure:
- Start taking medications as prescribed by your hair transplant surgeon.
- Stop using skin creams, such as Retina-A.
- Drink plenty of fluids and rest.
- Stop any exercise as recommended by your hair transplant surgeon.
- Wash your hair with an antibacterial soap / shampoo each day for the two or three days prior to the hair transplant procedure.
- Do not use hair gel or mousse, or hairspray.
On the day of your hair transplant procedure:
- Eat a normal healthy breakfast. Avoid caffeine so you are as relaxed as possible for the procedure. Your surgeon may ask you not to eat in the 6-12 hours prior to surgery.
- Wear comfortable clothes that can be removed without pulling them over your head.
- If you wear contact lenses, eyeglasses, or dentures, bring the case with you and be sure that your name is clearly printed on it.
- Use the restroom before your procedure. There will be long periods sitting and resting during your hair transplant procedure. You will not be able to use the restroom during this procedure.
FUE Hair Transplantation Step by Step
The hair transplant specialist extracts each graft separately with a specialized device up to 1 mm in diameter — a process which does not leave visible scarring.
Step 1 | Design Hairline
Your dedicated hair transplant surgeon will design a hairline that will give you the most desirable results by illustrating on your forehead with an eyebrow pencil and revising each marking with you.
Adjustments can be made until the perfect hairline is achieved.
Step 2 | Sedation
Your hair transplant specialist may prescribe and administer an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory from an IV line.
Step 3 | Shaving
The hair transplant surgeon will typically shave the entire head because having unnecessary hair will increase the overall duration of the surgery.
Step 4 | Local Anesthesia
Most patients experience little or no discomfort during hair transplant abroad treatment. Minor pain or discomfort may be present during the initial phases of recovery. Medication is often prescribed to eliminate discomfort.
Step 5 | Extracting Grafts from Donor Area
Small groups of hair (follicular units) are eradicated from the donor site or back of the scalp. Using tiny circular incisions, one millimeter in diameter (or less), and your hair transplant abroad expert will employ a motorized instrument to harvest the donor tissue through a series of punches.
Donor hairs are extracted one-by-one within the punch area and are either used intact or divided microscopically into smaller units for transplantation — no stitches are necessary.
Typical procedures include 1,800 to 3,500 grafts. To dissect and place thousands of grafts in a 6 to 8 hour procedure entails a team of 4 to 6 specialists.
Step 6 | Preparing the Grafts
As each follicular unit is extracted, they are examined under the microscope to remove any excess skin on the graft for placement into the smallest incisions possible — creating a natural appearance.
Step 7 | Implanting the Grafts
After each follicular unit is implanted into the scalp into tiny needlepoint holes, the procedure is completed.
It takes the newly transplanted hair 2 to 5 months to grow. The process is subtle before the transplants grow thicker and fuller over time. After one year, the patient’s transplanted hair will be thick and full of life.
Recovery from FUE Hair Transplantation
It is important for patient’s to rest during the first day following surgery. It is extremely important to avoid any trauma to the recipient area.
Although most patients report little or no pain following the hair transplant surgery, your hair transplant surgeon abroad may recommend that you take pain medication twice a day for 3 - 4 days.
To prevent swelling, sleeping in an upright position is recommended. Sleep in an upright position with several pillows under your neck and shoulders. You can also use an ice pack pressed against your forehead for several days following your surgery to moderate any swelling.
Red dots in the donor area begin to dissolve around the 14th day. The hair transplant specialist abroad will specify after-care Instructions at the time of treatment, including special washing, ointments, antibiotics and restrictions on diet and physical activity during recovery.
- FUE Methods
- FUT Methods
- Repair Surgery
- Non-Surgical Methods
- Eyebrow Hair Transplants
- Beard Transplants
Copyright © 2012-2015 HairTransplantAbroad.com All Rights Reserved.
MedStar, LLC. Wilmington, Delaware, USA